Spicy Chicken & Hominy Stew
Prep: 25 min
Cook: 10 min
Makes: 6 servings
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast cut into 1" cubes
1 c chopped red onion
6 cloves garlic (1 T minced)
2 15oz cans hominy, rinsed & drained
2 14oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 c pitted olives, quarted (I omit as I am not an olive fan)
1/2 to 1 c purchased green salsa or green enchilada sauce (can adjust amount to taste - more salsa = more spice. We like a full cup)
1/4 c finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro (we ALWAYS use more - can never have too much cilantro)
1/2 of an avocado, chopped (optional)
2 T sour cream (optional)
2 T finely shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
1. In a 4 qt Dutch oven, heat EVOO over medium high heat. Add chicken. Cook & stir for 3-4 min until browned. Add red onion; cook & stir 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook & stir 1 minute more.
2. Add hominy to chicken mixture; cook & stir 4 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, olives, salsa & bell pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro.
3. If desired, top individual servings w/avocado, sour cream & cheese.
Tangy Black Bean Soup
Prep: 35 min.
Cook: 25 min
Makes: 6 servings
1/2 c chopped onion
12 cloves garlic (2T minced)
2 T EVOO
1/2 t ground cumin
8 c reduced sodium chicken broth
3 15oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
1 lemon, sliced 1/2 " thick
1/2 c snipped dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
1 small fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded & finely chopped (optional)
1 T chopped fresh oregano or 1 t dried oregano crushed
1 1/2 t sherry or balsamic vinegar
1. In a 4 qt Dutch oven cook onion & garlic in hot oil over medium heart until tender, stirring occasionaly. Add cumin; cook & stir for 1 minutes more. Add broth, beans, lemon slices, tomatoes. jalapeno & oregano if using dried. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 15 min. stirring occasionally.
2. Discard lemon slices. Remove 3 c of the soup mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Use an immersion blender or potatoe masher to coarsely puree or mash the mixture in the bowl (I just our regular blender). Return to Dutch oven. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in vinegar & oregano (if using fresh).