I needed a few lemons today and am so thankful i can walk outside, head on over to to a garden and grab lemons off a tree. Real thankful. I love lemon garlic chicken and that's what was for dinner.
Seeing such an abundance on this tree, I wondered what would my Instagram followers would do with these lemons. Here are some of the responses lemenchello, lemon brownies, lemon turmeric ginger shots, a lemon meringue pie, lemon water, lemon zest pancakes, lemon almond cookies and one friend responded with - freeze some of the lemons to use later for zest/juice/roasted chicken. Salt preserved lemons, lemon marmalade, candied lemon peel, lemon salt, chocolate lemon truffles, lemon shortbread, lemon bars and lemon curd made the list.
It was 2009 and we opened our home for a Spring Party and Molly brought these mimi lemon cupcakes to our home. They were phenomenal. This Lemon Cupcake recipe is similar to Molly's.
Lemon Cupcakes~20 cupcakes
1-1/2 cups flour (cake if you have it, otherwise all-purpose)
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup grape seed oil or vegetable oil
4 egg yolks (approximately 3 ounces)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract, all natural grated rind from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon bitters
5 egg whites (approximately 5 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter1/4 cup sugar
1. Sift flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder into the bowl of a standing mixer.
2. In a medium bowl, combine oil, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon extract, lemon rind, and bitters. Stir to combine.
3. On a low setting, start to beat the dry mixture and slowly add the wet. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until incorporated.
4. Transfer mixture to another bowl. Wash and dry mixer bowl.
5. Whip egg whites with whip attachment on medium-high speed until foamy. With the mixer on medium speed, add cream of tarter and slowly add sugar. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
6. Scoop a cupful of the stiff egg whites into the batter and stir to combine. This should lighten up the batter.
7. Transfer the batter to the egg whites and gently fold until there are no more streaks of egg white.
8. Scoop into cupcake cups about 2/3s full and bake at 350 F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.