Farm Babies

Yes, it happened. We've been waiting, checking, tapping our toes, waking up at all hours of the night. Crazy goat farmers we are.


I admit it. I've had a bit of anxiety waiting for Karrie to start the laboring process to deliver her quads.  My anxiety was pretty much because my last "delivering quads" experience was difficult/traumatic/yet we made it through kind of experience. 

Sunday was the day Karrie began to seem ready to deliver. Her udder was filled out, her ligaments were around her tail were loose.  All day, she walked around - restless - going from spot to spot - digging, nesting, yawning, stretching and doing lots of baby talk to her kids.

Around 2 pm, I gave Karrie 50 cc of MFO and decided to do a two finger check to see if her cervix was opened or perhaps there was a kid close by. The cervix was nice and soft but nothing else.  I had time for an afternoon nap and then coffee.

By early evening, the birthing pen was set, another set of lights were added and the team was ready:  Gretchen, Ian and of course Michael.  Everyone knew their part on the team - who would take new babies, wipe them down, clean off faces and noses, tie of umbilical cords, dip them in iodine, spray feet in iodine, and let the mom do the final licking.

Around 8 pm, I decided to do another check - Karrie's cervix was completely dilated. She spent the new forty-five minutes in that "I'm in pain mode" where the doe lays down, gets up, paws the ground, puts her face in the cracks of the birthing pen wall and then arches her back. I'd take periodic video clips and send them to my friend Rhonda at Crow's Dairy. Mostly, I needed some verification and assurance of the progression.

At 9:00 pm, Karrie took to the ground and began to push. This was it - hard labor, painful contractions and pushing, a bubble emerged and then a head. What you really want is a head with those front feet. What I got was the whole head and nothing else. Not a good sign. The goat just really can't deliver a kid like that. There were a few options, but I needed coaching from an expert. Gretchen called Rhonda as fast as she could and for the next thirty plus minutes she graciously coached me through every kids entrance into our world. 

lylah lednerComment